Sunday 15 June 2014

DIY TOTE BAG IN JUST 4 SIMPLE STEPS

Ever wanted to own a tote bag handmade by yourself which displays your very own set of creativity and uniqueness? Here's how you can do it with less than $10!! Do read on to find out more.


Materials that you'll need:
-Pencil
-Eraser
-Black fabric marker ($3.00) / fabric paint
-Tote bag (Mine was from muji @ $3.90 only)
-Old magazines


Step 1:
Put in old magazines into your tote bag so that you'll have a better surface area to sketch (Do not remove your magazines throughout the entire 4 steps)! You can choose to find some inspiration online or use your own creativity to create your own masterpiece. Using a blunt pencil, sketch out your design onto your plain tote bag. In my case, I have decided to sketch out 2 simple yet meaningful words which helps to remind me that no matter what happens, I will keep going.



Step 2:
After you are done with your sketch, outline your design using a fabric marker. This takes time and patience and you will have to do it slowly and steadily as you wouldn't want to mess up your tote bag. If there are pencil marks on your tote bag, you can erase it using your eraser. The eraser dust however may stick onto your tote bag and the solution to that is to use a scotch tape to remove the eraser dust.




Step 3:
At this stage, you may wish to use fabric paint to fill up the remaining empty spaces. However, I do not have any at home so I just make full use of my fabric marker to fill in the empty spaces. By using fabric marker to cover up such a large surface really takes up a lot of time.



Step 4:
And Tadaaaa! My finished product which I really loved it alot. It so happened that my other bag snapped on me and this comes just in handy for me to carry it around. The total time spent to create this piece took me about 1hr 30 mins as I uses fabric marker. Fabric paint will definitely take a shorter time. I have seen pretty tote bags around that costs about $20-$30 and I am not that willing to spend that amount of money. So, I decided to create my own and spent a total of $6.90 on tote bag and fabric marker! Definitely worth it and felt a sense of achievement after DIY-ing my very own tote bag. As for pencil, eraser and magazines, I believe that most of us have it at home and there's not a need to spend on so you can save that money on other necessity. I hope you guys will find this tutorial useful and you guys might even do a greater job than me!:)













No comments:

Post a Comment